Wednesday, January 12, 2011

Boys = Sports

We all know that Ben was THRILLED to discover I had two boys in my belly, and there were two reasons why.  The first was that if we had a girl she would grow up and go on dates with BOYS, and he couldn't stand the thought of that.  The second was they could (hopefully) share his love for sports and competition.  I've probably made the joke over 100 times that if the boys aren't good at sports we all know who to blame - I mean, if you throw something underhand to me from 5 feet away I'll probably cover my head and jump out of the way.  Since I couldn't help them by passing along "athletic genes" and I can't help them by demonstrating any sort of coordination or athleticism, I am encouraging them in the best way I know how... dressing them up in adorable team gear, of course!

I'll start with the most obvious.  They ARE twins.  Ben was born and raised in Minnesota and has been a Twins fan since he was little.  As a Cubs fan in Chicago pointed out, "Wow - you're a Twins fan and you're having twins!?!?  That would be like me giving birth to a baby bear."  As you can see, almost immediately they were shown which baseball team they will cheer for.  I'm a Cubs fan, but loving the Cubs sets you up for a lifetime of disappointment so I'm OK with the boys liking the Twins more.  We'll all hate the White Sox equally.

Next the boys had to learn which pro football team they would show their allegiance to.  Uncle Brad bought them these Vikings jerseys and no, he didn't have them specially made, there is a player on the team with our last name (no relation of course).  Unfortunately, the Vikings had a pretty bad season, and Bret Favre was all sorts of embarrassing, but hopefully by the time the boys are old enough to watch the game (next year?) the quarterback will be Tim Tebow and he, Percy, and cousin Adriane will give the boys a reason to be proud to wear purple and gold.




Although the boys are set to grow up in California, hockey will be as much a part of their lives as if they were in Minnesota.  Ben has already researched mini mites teams in the area and plans to have the boys on skates the same day they can walk.  We do have a San Jose Sharks team, but Andy and Mikey will support the Minnesota Wild like their Daddy. 



Since this is the only team I'm bringing to the table, I am going to lobby pretty hard for the Petey Pair to be Florida Gator fans.  I've been singing "We are the boys" and watching all the football games with them, but after the season we had I can understand why the boys aren't too happy wearing orange and blue.  I will enjoy telling them how we destroyed Ohio State (41-14) and beat Oklahoma (24-14) to win 2 national champoinships in 3 years.  Hopefully they can experience similar Gator greatness in the near future.



"Let's go Duke!"  I hear this a lot during college basketball season, and expect to hear a lot more of it once the boys are talking (perhaps in time for March Madness.  They are very advanced, you know).  Since we found out I was pregnant, Duke has only lost 1 game and they are the current National Champions so the boys are thrilled to wear Duke Blue.

Michael and Andrew will always know that we love them no matter what choices they make in life.  They can pursue any interests they have, be whatever they want, marry whoever they choose... as long as they are fans of these teams.  Just kidding...  well maybe except for Duke.

No comments:

Post a Comment